Originally Posted by A/MP
Not necessarily. There is a point where oil manufacturers follow"more is better". Never found out why, even when speaking to formulators. X amount of ZDDP is needed in motor oil. Some blends put in too much and eventually separates outs and becomes an ingredient of sludge. ZDDP is that wonder drug that is very important in motor oil. Brad Penn or Penn 1 hangs around on every moving part of an engine. Your car gets started in maybe 2,3,4 weeks.That,call it sticky or gooey, keeps all the internal parts from being worn on the start up. Seen that that at salvage yards when pulling parts. Modern cars, with low levels of ZDDP, maybe sitting a year or 2 or 3 have the faintest of lubrication on the internal parts. Are the motors clean? YES. They have more dry start wear. When you find a sludge bucket, they are a greasy mess and the parts are all coated( accounting for good service). Good maintenance programs are a definite plus and so is ZDDP fortified oil

Not sure where you get our information but you are just wrong on some of this stuff.

ZDDP (I'll try and spell it out...zincdiakyldithiophosphate) is nothing more than phosphated zinc. Its not a wonder anything. It's a power KILLER when you have more than you need. The phosphate is what attracts the zinc to hot parts, and the zinc provides a consumable wear surface on things like cam lobes, valve stems, valve springs and piston rings. That's why any ENGINE oil must have ZDDP to be classified as an engine oil.

That additive, like every other must be part of the oil, or it would settle out while in the can (yes I'm old...oil goes in a can when you're my age) and be worthless.

There should never be any reason for any additive in the base oil that can separate from the base oil no matter how long it sits.

If an oil has to be "gooey" to lubricate on dry starts its a junk oil. Dry starts are lubricated by the additive package like zinc that remains after the engine is shut down. Not unlike how piston rings are lubricated at all times...dry film lubrication...which is zinc and good oils have a few more things.

Junk is junk at any price and a "gooey" oil is junk no matter what name is on the bottle.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston