I ran across a problem I’ve never seen before. I’m working on a external balanced 76 440 cast crank engine that had a nice stock rebuild with a std/std crank even. The problem was it was installed in a 4 speed application with a neutral balance flywheel. Of coarse it has a vibration. The crank had no hole at all drilled for the bushing so they used the newer ball bearing pilot that fits into the larger torque converter register and chopped off the input for the hemi four speed. My plan is to replace the crank with a forged crank I have and balance the assembly. I may not have a true 4 speed shaft to use on this application. It is a temporary fixed for a customer just to get his car running, while we build a good motor. I may have to use the same type of bearing for the next build. However, the one in the cast crank right now is very loose.. I can’t quite pull it out with one finger but it is loose and wobbles in the crank. It this a common problems with these bushings? My thought is it it loose because of the out of balance issues. I have not looked at the inside of the four speed yet but the picture he sent me when he drained the grease from it had metal on the magnetic plug more than I’d like to see. Judging by the condition of the engine, this situation does not have many miles on it. Has anyone ever seen a loose bearing like this.?

Last edited by fastmark; 11/14/19 09:26 AM.