Originally Posted by poorboy
Well this is an interesting process. After looking at his posted picture again, the front end of the truck sits a lot lower then it would have stock. Given that the original flat head 6 weighed a bunch (pretty close to the weight of the 440), I doubt the lower front end position is caused by the 440, unless the springs are shot, or several leafs have been removed from each spring.
I guess we (that includes me) all presumed that since the truck has drum brakes it must still have the original beam axle as well. That may not be the case, something has been done to lower the front end of the truck. That could dramatically change what is needed to upgrade to the disc brakes.
It could also make a huge difference concerning adding power steering, which would be difficult with the beam axle.
I guess we need to have Ted look under the front end and see if there is still parallel leaf springs and a beam axle under the lowered front end. It would also be good to know how the front end was lowered if the leaf springs and beam axle are still present. Some of the methods for lowering the beam axle that were used in the past are considered pretty unsafe these days. Gene

A couple of options for power steering, one a little pricey the other not so much if you can find the parts. This is assuming it still has a straight axle under it.

Summit has an electric column kit that works like a lot of new cars do. The cheaper one if you can still find one would be the Ford power assist that uses a ram similar to what Sweptline trucks use except the control valve IIRC is incorporated into the cylinder itself instead of the drag link. Makes it adaptable to anything. Ford used it from the 60's right up to whenever they quit building Grenadas and Lincoln Versailles.

Kevin