Thanks, transman. The Dart is mostly a Saturday Night Special but I do want to take it to the track occasionally. The engine is a 451 with a Big-Ass Cam Mini-Express mushroom cam, slightly reground to restore lobe taper. So it's now 272@.050, therefore I will really need to spin it up to take full advantage... just puttin' around on the street, the windage loss wouldn't even be noticeable.

Somewhere I have a tray, just don't remember my reason for omitting it when I changed pans quite a few years ago (from 440Source which had a little interference with the K, to the current Milodon 30930 which clears everything but is still rather low to the ground). Either I figured the baffle in the 30930 would keep the oil far enough, or two gaskets were too thick for the Hughes girdle's pan rail studs.

Anyhow. Since everything's off right now, I will dig out the tray and see if I can put it on. Hughes says to seal the tray to the girdle with RTV which has minimal thickness. I guess the tray can't hurt and it may well make a measurable difference at 6000+... the one or two times I ever twist it that high whistling