Originally Posted by moparjo68
99 Ram 2500 with 153,000 and a V10 that all of a sudden starting a tick tick tick noise while running/idling. The noise came on instantly. I immediately did a compression test. High number was 160. Low number was 135. I saw a youtube video that someone had the same ticking noise as my truck engine. He removed the valve cover and a rocker arm bolt had sheared off causing the tick noise.

My question is: Without removing the valve covers to look for broken/loose rocker arm bolts, would the compression test readings tell me what I need to know.
Meaning: wouldn't I get a real low reading if the intake valve can't open and no air is able to enter the cylinder on the piston's downward stroke?

160 to 135 is too much of a difference between cylinders if you ask me. Yes the compression will be lower if the intake valve can't open at all, might be higher if the exhaust can't open but even if they partially open then compression will be affected. I think you need to pull the rocker covers.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.