Originally Posted by BradH
OP - How far would you have to drive (or tow?) to Sterling VA from where you are in MD to see if this one runs better / worse / no differently? Oh, look... holes in the throttle plates. whistling

This isn't even a sales pitch, although I do have it listed. If mine runs better than yours, then my tune & setup could help you figure out what direction to go w/ yours.

Besides, I think I still owe you a favor for the Hurst line-lock switch you sent me. - Brad

Thanks for the offer Brad I may take you up on it if I can't figure it out. I actually was in NoVa today for a meeting and I drove by Sterling. I take RT15 through to avoid the beltway. I live in western Howard County about 60 miles.
Out of the box the carb was lean at idle and would die instantly when put in gear and I had the idle up to 1400-1500 to keep it running. I do have a wideband meter but it is an old LM-1 and it was reading crazy lambda numbers. Not sure if the o2 is bad or open headers. Currently it idles 1300 in neutral and 900-1000 in gear and is rich at idle.
I did stop on the way home and picked a drill bit to open up IABs that was suggested. If I have time tomorrow I will give that a try but work has been busy. Wanted to go to Mason Dixon on Saturday or Capital on Sunday. Want try the new engine before winter.

Seems like drilling throttle blades is like asking about pinion angle.