Originally Posted by Greenwood
I'm currently running a single battery in my Dart. The load is pretty basic- MSD, fuel pump, water pump, fan, line-loc. I run a GM one-wire alternator, and still run short of power if I go rounds. Because it's 1/8 mile, cool downs are quick, so I'm not running the fan/water pump for more than a few minutes between rounds, yet I still ended up with a dead battery after 4 runs. I've tried bigger batteries, and RV/marine batteries, and nothing seems dramatically better than anything else. I've double checked the system to make sure the alternator is charging, and it is. It's not putting out big voltage, but it should be enough that the battery isn't draining out. I'm going to add a second battery. Do I connect them positive to positive and negative to negative? (Dumb question, but I've seen some battery banks connected positive-negative.)

I have a 69 Dart. Similar type stuff running on it you have. One wire powermaster alt, interstate battery, etc. i had constant problems with it turning over slow, unreliability in later rounds.
Over last winter i had a local guy who wires car go through mine. All new wiring, put fan, water pump and fuel pump on relays. Bigger wire from Alternator, new wire from starter, you name it, upgraded everything. Added a light in the trunk for adding fuel at night.
Couple lights inside car to read ET slips at night..... yada, yada.
Long story short, just put the car away for the season due to surgery i had. Had put battery on trickle charger for a couple days before i got car out last spring.
Went lots of rounds, ran fan and water pump in the pits and lanes to enter waterbox at my desired temp every time........ and never had a battery charger anywhere near the car all race season long.
Proved to me having good and correct wire and grounds are critical.
Probably best investment i have ever made

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, low 10.30’s 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.56 at 104.17