Originally Posted by IMGTX
Originally Posted by 70HemiGTX
It was mentioned to run a smaller ground wire as a "fuse". Why not just go to NAPA and buy a 100 amp ( I think that is what I have in, but not sure.) fuse and put that in the positive cable right at the battery. Much safer than relying on a homemade "fusible link".

Starters can pull more than 100 amps. It's not about fusing the auxiliary systems it's about protecting the main power wire to the starter. I have had the starter come loose and when I went to start the car that is when all heck broke loose. Factory trunk mounted cars use a similar method or use non burn wiring covers(like a fusible link has) to prevent the car from burning if the main trunk line gets shorted.

Like you pointed out though. Auxiliary systems should always be fused with a fuse or fusible link.

Just put a Ford starter solenoid in the back near the battery. Use it to switch the power to the starter that way the long wire forward to the starter is only hot when you need it hot and dead all the rest of the time. You will need to run a separate, fused at the battery feed for the fuse box.