Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
I didn't think with a flat tappet, that spring pressures were super critical. Maybe I'm wrong in that thinking.

I have not found that to be the case at all.
What I find is that people are worried about running high open loads and the cam going flat, and often aren’t running high enough loads for the rpm they’re turning.

You didn’t say if you were running 1.5 or 1.6 rockers, but 1.6’s would require more load.
I don’t know which heads you’re running, but if it’s something that uses big heavy offset intake rockers...... that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

In a BB bracket race build, looking for say 7200rpm capability, with a reasonably fast rate design lobe...... I’d be looking to be in the 420lb open range........ maybe more depending on how fast the lobe is.

Lobe design is a big player.
The first cam I ran in my 383 went 7k clean, no problem.
Second cam, which had a little steeper closing ramp struggled to get past 6500..... with all the other valvetrain components the same.

It’s a nice idea that you don’t need high spring loads on flat tappet cams for high rpm use........ but many times, that’s just not how it plays out.

Obviously I don’t know for certain if that’s your problem, but based on what you’ve outlined as what you’re running for spring loads...... I wouldn’t rule it out.

Sorry about the previous post, I didn't see that there was more to your response when I replied.

The rockers are 1.6 int. and 1.5 exh. that is what Jones suggested to use. The rockers are standard offset from Hughes.

Thanks for your replies to my questions and if the distributor ends up not being the problem (I really don't think it will be since it's been to 7200+ before), I'm going to move to springs next.
Do you have a spring preference in the poundage and installed height we've been discussing assuming it is what would be considered a fast rate designed lobe? I do know the intake lobe is a .904 designed one with the exhaust lobe a .875 one

'86 Maple Grove KOS Mopar low qualifier......true street legal with no power adders.

NOS-used when losing since 1940.