Originally Posted by justintyme
thanks for the info guys, I am getting a new link and will update when I on HD it, either that tach has a short, or the battery was low cranking this time, it has been sitting a year and had a charger on it when cranking as it had run down after initially charging it over might, which I attributed to having the dome lights etc on while working in installing stuff

You're playing with fire here.
There is a short to ground.
The only reason a good fusible link burns quick is when too much current is flowing through it.

A dead battery and a high charging rate should not melt it. At idle, even a 60 amp alternator is only going to supply 30 amps or so.

Read this.
http://www.heritech.org/cuda/Charge2.html

You can use the '67 schematic for general guidance. '69 is going to have different connector cavities, a few different colors, and some other differences. But essentially the flow paths are the same.

For trouble shooting, you can connect a blinker modual as a circuit breaker instead of wasting fusible links and also risking other components.
Another method, which could be used in conjunction with the circuit breaker, is to wire a couple of leads on a light bulb. The wattage of the lamp will restrict the current and you'll see there is a problem.
Start with the battery side. key off, doors closed, lamp should be off. If not look for the short ground in the main circuit.