Originally Posted by SportF
Originally Posted by 383man
My 63 is a 99% street car as its a 493 with Indy EZ heads. Its at 10.6 comp and has good .045 quench. It likes about 21 initial and 36 total. No vacuum advance as I got a great deal on a Mallory race dist with no vacuum advance. And I have full advance by 1800 rpm. The car runs awesome like that as it has great driveability. Ron

The internet story used to be that you couldn't have a decent running car by pulling the full timing in that quick. Of course, that doesn't seem to be the story now, at least with you and I. I run my total at 38, street and race. But I'm looking for the performance side of things.

You got your car cooking and you drive to the track. Running 10's, that is about as good as it gets, eh?

Yes she runs real good. Great throttle response at any rpm. Just step down on it and it goes. But I do have good quench and a custom grind cam from Dwayne Porter to keep my cyl pressure 92 pump gas friendly. The cam is a solid flat tappet with 264 & 270 @ .050 and .585 & .592 lift. Has a 110 LSA and I have it on a 106 ICL. My car has never had any ping at all and I have run it at 38 total also. Dwayne is very good as I told him I wanted bit lumpy of an idle as that's what I love and I wanted to make good power and run 92 pump and it has done just what I wanted it to. I forgot the intake closing as I have to look on the cam card but I know he has it right so I don't go over 200 psi cyl pressure. If I had a dist with vacuum advance I would try it and see how it does on my car but honestly I am more then pleased with how the car runs with just the mechanical advance dist. Course we can always do better. smile

As for my fuel mileage ?? All I can say is this 493 wanted a heck of a lot more fuel them my old 440 did and I have never checked the mileage as I knew it would eat a lot of gas. And I figure if I am worried about my fuel mileage on my hotrod then I am in the wrong hobby. grin Ron

Last edited by 383man; 07/19/19 08:56 PM.