Originally Posted by ogopogo
our 340 challenger is only making 7.5in vac at idle and the brakes are not great.I want to keep the power brakes and would prefer not to spend a pile of money on the pump since this motor is only staying in the car for a few months than a 5.7 hemi is going in.Any recommendations for reasonably inexpensive reasonably quiet vac pump options? Maybe a junkyard oem setup or?
I tried a cannister today but was a waste of money,need a pump it seems....

D.

You need a minimum of 10 inches vac with a manual tranny vehicle, and at least 12 inches with an auto to have safe repeatable braking... I've used the SSBC vacuum pump with good success along with a vac resv canister, the pump is going to make some noise when it's running, just try and mount it on rubber pads/feet to limit the noise/vibration, I hid it in the front fender behind the headlight, and the vac resv canister under the battery tray to keep the engine compartment clean and factory looking

FYI: I had the SSBC pump on a 472 HEMI/auto with a big cam and a dual diaphragm Bendix booster, initially I could only get about 8" of vac, the SSBC/resv canister was good for a steady 14-15" of vac, and steady repeatable braking and good vacuum recovery

Mike