Originally Posted by JAKE68
I used them years ago until I realized that the ridge you are cutting down is the actual bore size and what you are doing is cutting that down to the worn out size of the bore. So your bores are not straight. if its just a rebuild just hone it with a ball hone and be done..

Correct, I will be cutting down a standard bore to approximately .004" larger in diameter. The remainder of the bore is still straight (less than .001" out of round) in each hole. The forged pistons I have are sufficient to work with the bore in it's worn diameter. The new rings gap properly as well.

If I intended to put together a big power engine I'd bore and hone. However, I have parts on hand that are compatible and am looking for little more than stock power. This is one situation where the "dingle ball rebuild" is acceptable.

The idea is to remove no more than necessary and sneak up on the final dimension. Being a machinist, I'm fairly certain I can make that happen.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon