I wanted to keep mine functional, although some parts were missing, so I had to order the rebuild kit anyway.

I got my manifolds jet hot coated, but sent in with the old bushings in place and I swapped them out with the ones in the kit after coating. I did make sure the old bushings were able to come out with no issues before sending in, to make it easier when the time came to drive them out. To get the old shaft off you either cut the shaft in two spots and remove the shaft in pieces or grind down the flapper where it is held on the shaft so you can slide out. Sliding out is a little more tricky as any burrs will get caught on the bushing as it comes out. More grinding or cleaning up is needed to get out.

To reinstall you need to tack weld the flapper back in place on the shaft, in the proper position. This is probably the most tricky part, clocking the shaft and flapper correctly. Lucky the welds are not visible, as my skills are not so great. As long as they hold, its fine. Take good photos before tearing apart, so you know what you are looking for.