Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I've never tried doing a water burnout with a regular full automatic valve body shruggy
You might want to apply the front brakes and start the burn out in low gear at very light throttle pressure so the RPM do not get above 3000 rpm before shifting into second or high gear scope Once it shifts out of low gear shoot for between 5000 RPM and 6500 RPM to get the tire speed up to make heat up
I start my burnouts in 2nd gear and shift it into high on all my race 727 trannys with manual valve bodies, I try to keep the rpm below 6500 RPM also but I have seen the tach at or near 7300 RPM before I let up on the throttle to get the RPM down realcrazy
What do you mean about "playing wit it in high gear" ?

Thanks Cab

I have a tf2 kit installed which is supposed to allow manual or automatic shifting. So if I want to drag race I can warm up slicks in 2/3 then slap up through the gears from 1 at the green lite with my ratchet shifter. While it’s in manual 1 I think the sprag shares duties with a band so that’s good.

By playing around in D I mean when I am using Drive and letting the transmission shift for me. The kit makes my shifts pretty firm and a decent amount of throttle will make the trans hold my gears to 4500 or a little higher. What makes me nervous is that if I understand it right when you’re in Drive and take off from a stop that’s breakaway low- like 1st but with no low band apply so no engine braking and only the sprag holding the rear drum. So not the same as hammering it in a full manual valve body that has engine braking and will heat up the atf trying to take off from a stop in 3rd with 1:1 gearing.

Matter of fact I think the TF2 kit allows downshifts at any speed but selecting 2 might still cycle through breakaway low as well?

Drag strip procedure has been beat to death here- burn em in 2, etc, but if I want to surprise a mustang at a stoplight and I’m in Drive/auto, give it too much gas & fry tires instead of jumping am I all done or can I pedal it a little to get traction again? Or will that kind of shenanigans hammer my sprag in short order?

I’m not doing neutral drops or any stupid stuff.

Last edited by radar; 06/03/19 12:48 PM. Reason: Typos