Originally Posted by CompSyn
That's what I was thinking. I don't think it will be that critical for what I'm doing. Rarely if ever will it see much past 5,500. I do have ARP rod bolts on hand that I'm thinking about having installed when I get the rods done.

My next question has to do with the headwork. What would be the bare minimum for this? My stock 906s have the high performance "Magnum" valve springs. Do you think those will suffice? The engine will have stock type cam. Also, the original valves? Can 50-year-old valves live to see another day in this type of application?

Also, forgot to mention, this is on an engine with 98,000 miles, which I'm inclined to believe is accurate.

Is this going to be a hone the stock bore and rering the original pistons kind of build to get the car self propelled? The 906 head doesn't have hardened seats but if the valves don't rattle around in the guide, haven't receded into the ports and aren't burnt/leaking badly, you might get away with a blister stick and some lapping compound to seal them up.

If everything is beat, I would at the very least find some 452's with hardened seats to start with for the bucks down approach but if the plan was to build them properly it would be Stealths all the way for the stock look or Procomp types if you don't care about the appearance.

Kevin