Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Seeing that we're on gutted battery projects, I recently cut open my AGM Turbostart gas mat repro battery (group 27) to set it up for a battery within a battery senario (I had gotten 11 yrs of service from it, not bad!), I cut the top of the battery off, leaving the bottom intact, I cut it off where it looked like it was seamed, my end result will be to have the bottom section of the group 27 act like a battery box to contain the hidden battery as well as shield it should it leak/gas out/vent, thus saving my engine compartment from any mess, I plan on attaching the top of the group 27 to the hidden battery with a mechanical buss attachment rather than cables, the battery hold down will act as a hold down to not only retain the dummy group 27, but secure the surgically altered top to the base/box as well....

here's what the gas mat repro batteries look like inside for those interested ...

Mike
Mike,
I you still have the top as it was cut off could you post a picture looking at the bottom or inside?
It looks like cutting the top off makes it a lot easier to remove the cells from the bottom!
It took me a long time to carve the cells out piece by piece from the bottom!
Thanks! John