Originally Posted by Satilite73

I understand a lot of our engines are 30,40, 50 yrs old but , GEEZ the lack of rebuilders is alarming.

Doing my little search, I saw prices range from $3K to $14K+ and that's using your engine,

Wow.

I had a hard time trying to find a machine shop locally 16 yrs ago. Now that I can't even find cotter pins locally, I don't think it's gotten any better. And the crazy part (to me) is that http://samtech.edu/ is located in Houston. Where are the graduates going? They sure aren't staying here in Houston.

IMO as an engine rebuilder. The engine rebuilding trade of the 21st c. is now on the same path as the blacksmith trade of the 19th c.. With the advent of computer controlled engine management systems the modern engine is capable of 300,000+ km. without need of repair. The main income of an automotive machine shop was (is) jobber shop (Joe's garage) type engine repair. With the average engine now lasting 15+ yrs, the complexity of multi cam multi valve vvt type engines and the insurance companies writing off a higher percentage of low mile vehicles thereby creating a supply of low mileage parts, there is not enough demand to support the investment needed to equip and maintain a proliferation of modern machine shops. Another current trend that has spelled the end of the machine shop is that there is a very small percentage of the last couple of generations becoming involved with the automotive hobby or trade.

Randy