Here are some photos of this scenario discovered on my own vehicles a number of years ago.

I had thought at that time that the hose nipple pointing toward the fan blade was the norm for 71 cars, and the nipple pointing downward toward the frame rail was the norm for 70 cars. I have observed numerous examples since, and although the majority are found as described, it is not gospel truth.

Also, based on all of these samples, there are least TWO vendors for these pumps (based on the five digit vendor code stamped into the housing), with the most popular version being the McCord piece, and at least TWO different 7-digit part numbers also stamped into the housing, and over the course of time, there are probably 8-10 variations of the canister (attachment method and/or end shape) and nearly as many variations of color combinations of the plastic portions of the pumps. Every NOS example (those found in a box) from the early 70's I have seen has had the nipple pointing downward toward the frame rail. If anyone has a true early vintage, favorably date-coded NOS pump with the nipple pointing toward the fan blade, consider it quite a find. I may need to break into your house to relieve you of it!

Bill Rolik

5116722-09140700008.JPG (299 downloads)