Originally Posted by sixpackbee
OK, I am looking to buy a 10-16 dually. The few friends I Have in the trucking biz say to stay way away from the trucks with DEF. Nothing buy a headache. Which leaves me up to a 12 & down. My dilemma is I like the upgrades they did on the 13 & up. Electronics package is way nicer and trans/frame/engine upgrades too. Most everyone said deleting the EGR is a must regardless. So, to those in the know what do you say about the 12-down vs the 13 & up conflict. Is the EGR thing true too? My 96 is so reliable I hate to give it up but I have had for 21 years and the newer ones are so much nicer to travel in. Thanks for your input.

Find a way to stay in love with your 96. Air ride suspension, new paint, late model seating, whatever it takes.

Everything after 03 has issues. EGR, common rail injectors that hang open and hydraulic lock the engine, (boom) diesel particulate filters, $$$$, DEF, more $$$$$$ VGT turbos $$$$ it just doesn't stop. The newer stuff runs ok when it runs but when any of the above mentioned quits, the check engine light comes on or worse and a tow truck gets involved.

Properly maintained, that 12 valve will easily go 500,000 miles or more. If you convert the pump to manual shut off, your electrical system could fail and you are still trucking.

Kevin