Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Never say never, at one time the computer controlled fuel injection, VVT and ignition were thought to be way to expensive for the common man.The "cutting edge" '66 VW Squareback I drove in High School had computer controlled fuel injection , it WAS EFI, Not the older mechanical CIS and the computer wasn't hugely capable, but certainly available to the "common man" (whoever that is). I've been wrenching professionally for 35 years now and most of those Techs have been on mass produced cars for decades. It's gotten more refined, that's all.
_ Christian Koenigsegg is a genus engineer that has surrounded himself with top notch talent and builds boutique hypercars that are more like automotive erotica than a Toyota Camry or Ford F150.
_ It's going to take a LOT more that a 3 year old YouTube clip, some breathless reviews of a prototype by various automotive mags and reports of interest by a Chinese EV company and an startup Swedish company to convince me that it's anything more than an interesting engineering exercise.
_All of the major players are spending big money on EVs, not ICEs.
_ Still it's not a hill I'm willing to die on, so I'll revise my statement to Highly unlikely to see mass production, no more than 1,000 units per year- which is trivial. If it happens after I die then it doesn't count grin

Warren Johnson advocated pneumatic valve springs many years ago saying that the cost would be less than the huge valve spring bill Pro Stock teams had then and still have now. Pneumatic valve springs are another tech that no one has seen fit to put that into production engines, just a few highly developed race engines. That is only a part of what the FreeValve engine is about, it's Camless, a whole 'nether level above that. Pro Stock race engines don't qualify as mass produced, there are how many teams running PS anymore? I don't keep track, but there can't be much more than 100 PS engines currently running including backups and development.