The Dart was in storage due to other issues taking my time. I went to do the monthly run and warm up, battery too low to get it to fire. So I pulled the battery and bought a replacement just to get it going, no resto correct needed here. Put the new battery in and connected the negative cable then on to the positive side. The clamp made a slight spark as I put it on the post and as I started to tighten the nut, I smelled something and then saw smoke billowing up at the firewall. I quickly pulled the cable off the battery post but inspection after the smoke cleared revealed the fusible link on the center terminal was fried. The key wasn't on, in fact not even in the car. I pulled the wiring terminal off the bulkhead connector and found just a little corrosion on that one blade for the FL. I can't find anything else from a visual inspection that looks damaged or that may have caused the FL to burn up. So what do y'all think went south? The amp gauge? the new battery? Or just a freaky coincidence?
I've ordered replacement terminal blocks for all three sections and a fusible link but am hesitant to hook it back up without something determined to cause the cause. I intend to clean up the bulkhead connector and check all the connections before trying it again. What else?
The ignition is a MSD 6al with a hidden kill switch, Accel coil and wires, but mopar distributor. About 10 years ago the instrument cluster was pulled and all connections checked, solder joints renewed.

Last edited by jim; 04/25/19 04:00 PM.