Blue plates are more money, but are also a better choice for higher horsepower applications, along with Kolene steels.

Smooths with a high static material, if you're not using the blues, in the rear (forward) clutch. Grooved or checkered in the high (direct) gear. The front and rear clutch packs have very different jobs to do.

The forward clutch gets set up tight. As tight as .025 or .030. It's applied in all forward gears so a little drag is not an issue. Direct gets .010 to .012 per disc. Give or take, depending on if it has a brake, needs to have a minimum of drag (class car), etc.

Initially, I will run the front band adjustment with the pan off and then check the servo rod to lever clearance. Using a screwdriver or bar to lift the lever and apply the band, check the clearance between the lever and the rod. Make note of the adjustment needed to achieve 5/16" there with whatever band/lever combination you are using. I've also juggled spring loads in the front servo to fine tune the shift. Even adding or subtracting shims/spacers under the center spring makes a difference. A data recorder helps here as opposed to just listening for the flare. A touch of flare on the shift (no overlap) is the fastest way down the track.

I don't do a ton of them, but these are things I've picked up along the way. YMMV.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.