Originally Posted by 70duster340
First, I can only report on what I have read from the various websites that carry the items. They advertise that the pitman arm will change the steering ratio from 16:1 to 12:1. Since I have the 24:1 box, and none of those sites mentioned anything about that steering box, it led me to believe that they were only for the fast ratio box. None advertised about what the ratio would be if one was installed on the 24:1 box.

Second, I really don't take well to anyone, internet or otherwise, trying to intimidate me. If you can't give an informative answer or comment, don't bother me with your sarcasm. This site is for Mopar enthusiasts to ask and answer questions and pass along tech support and other assistance to those who request it. Nothing in my post required a sarcastic comment, reply, or pic. As I have stated before, if you don't have anything constructive to write, don't bother writing at all.

I see both sides of this one. It is a very uninformed question since anyone who understands Mopar steering boxes will know that the ABE manual boxes are all the same externally with just a different gear set internally. The Pittman arms all interchange for ABE boxes since they are all small sector so the fast ratio Pittman arm will interchange. But a person would need to know their way around a Mopar to know that the idler arm is a bit of a trick. As far as I know the only fast ratio idler arm being made is for the late model thru bolt. So the early cars can't use it. And of course, if you have an A body you would need to switch over to the late model center link to use the fast ratio setup. So the way the question was phrased made it seem dumb, but it is a complicated subject which only a few Mopar guys fully understand. A better question would've been "I have car XYZ, will the fast ratio arms fit my car" To answer that question a person needs to know small or large sector, type of idler arm mount, type of center link and what exhaust system is being used.

Having said that, it does appear that the vendors who sell these fast ratio arms don't do a very good job marketing them. Firm Fell has very little information on their website. Hotchkis has a decent description on their website but they forgot to explain what the ratio would be for a 24:1 or a 20:1 box. So yeah, the vendors could do a much better job of telling people about these parts.

The big issue with the fast ratio arms is that they move the center link back into the exhaust systems on most cars. The fast ratio is also an issue for manual steer cars. 16:1 is too fast of a ratio for most cars so putting fast ratio arms on a 16:1 box would be insane. Putting them on a 24:1 manual box might not be a horrible idea but if it turns it into 18:1 then that is faster than the 20:1 box which can be tough to steer. I tried a 16:1 box on my B body and it was too difficult to steer so I dropped back to the 20:1 box. Even it is tough to steer at low speeds so I'm planning to switch to a 14:1 PS box.

Good luck with your project.