Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports
Originally Posted by BcudaChris
I would say an AGM battery. Given the nature of the electrical systems, and how much the average hobby car sits, you'll get rid of the vented battery gas under your hood eating away at finish, wiring, etc. I run a Duralast Platinum. With the always available Advance Auto online coupons, they can be had for 160 or so, a fair bit less than an Optima or other equivalent.

Time for an AGM battery story....

On June 14, 2017 my truck died somewhere in Georgia in a Hardee’s parking lot is where it stopped. A whole AAA debacle that night left me frustrated and sleeping in my truck. Lucky for me I could see an Autozone, slept in my truck, woke up, ate Breakfast at Hardee’s (duh) and walked to Autozone. I bought a new alternator and two AGM batteries ($185 each). Put it all back together and drove home. Winter hits in 17/18 and if it’s below 30 degrees and my truck isn’t plugged in I have to jump it, so I start plugging it in all the time from November to March. Spring, summer and fall no issues, this winter shows up and I’m back to having to plug it in or it’s dead. So on Monday after I was late to an appointment because I had to jump it I drove to Autozone and got them replaced, not with AGM’s though I went back to lead acids. I have left my truck unplugged everyday since and can go out and fire it up anytime I want with no issue.

Long story short, AGM is not good for cold climates (in my opinion).

I agree, they do suffer some in cold climates and diesels really take their toll on them in cold weather. I’m still running lead acid in the diesel and have had great luck with the Walmart XXtream batteries in it, 8 years on my last set.

Last edited by 65pacecar; 03/07/19 01:27 PM.