Your choice IMO is not really about "strength", when choosing between steel/alum in this application. First question, is it welded? I believe it is. Welding alum in high stress applications should done gingerly. Ever seen a welded alum con rod? You won't. Alum when loaded begins its fatigue process at its first loading, The higher the load, the sooner it fails. If the load is reversed cyclically, the faster the fatigue occurs. If corrosion elements exist, it only gets worse. Failure is usually catastrophic.
In race extreme weight conscious applications that have a limited intended lifespan and regular inspections, Alum is useful. CM is nice, but would at least require a Pro (not a torch warmed to dull red, etc) HT, post weld/fabrication, to avoid similar Alum failure results. SS work hardens, and cracks, but looks pretty. The heavier/thicker you make any of the above, the slower the negative results appear, but then what is the point?

Now if its trailer queen. have at it. biggrin

I confess, in light of all the above, I toyed with over the years with the idea of doing one out of CF, its doable, it would totally trick, and somebody eventually will build one, it will be strong, light, and fairly costly, just can't zero in on its useful lifespan, without testing.

Last edited by jcc; 02/26/19 01:35 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.