I'll tell you my block story. I've ran 570ish HP 440's for years (10.20's 3400lbs) and had a lot of luck with them. I'd split a cylinder or a main web once in a while and machine up another old block and use all my guts. After 18 seasons of this,(3500+ passes) I got the urge to go faster finally.

I thought about going Gen3 and did all the math. The engine build is about the same if you're starting from scratch,but the Gen3 you have to change the trans,buy headers,oil pan, trans sheild,a thousand dollar intake, the MSD box etc and it all adds up.

I went with the low deck 511 stroker since I had one of the good 230 blocks with the thick webbing I had been holding onto for 20 some years.You could see the core shift in the front cam tunnel bore. The block was good and thick, except right near one of the upper head bolt holes it was under .100" so I decided not to use it.Went through 3 other blocks before we found one that was suitable,the thinnest spot we could find was just over .200" thick.

Pump gas motor, no fill, Indy -1 heads and it ran good, 9.70's but it didn't last the full season and it split #1 cylinder down low on the thrust side.I finally found another usable block recently after checking 3 more. This one is getting a half fill and going together using all the same parts.

I kind of regret going low deck, the stock block has it's limits and the aftermarket block situation is not good. I think it's possible there might be some more choices coming up for the RB, but not the low deck.Looking back, if I had it to do over again I would probably go Gen3. The stock block is pretty stout, and there are so many around it's like 440's were in the 80's, dime a dozen.

Last edited by 10sec440; 02/15/19 03:12 AM.