The other day, when it got way below zero here, when I started up my 98 Ram I noticed after several seconds that the oil press gauge was still on zero. I tapped on the cluster cover thinking possibly from the cold it might be stuck, it wasn't. I quickly shut it off and got out to look at the oil on the dipstick. It was right on the full mark, as if it had not been running. Im certain that shouldn't be the case, but I decided to start it (yeah I know) and check it while running and it was exactly the same, so I shut it off knowing its not pumping oil. The strange part, to me anyway, is that the motor sounded completely normal, no ticking, knocking or rattling from anywhere. Any other motor ive heard with no oil press it was immediately obvious. shruggy
Given its very close to 300K miles, im sure the pump end of the intermediate shaft it worn, possibly to the point where it rounded off that morning with the thick oil from the cold, or it just broke off. QUESTION: Does that sound feasible, and how would I verify that that's what has happened? The only ways I can think of is either pull the pan and drop the pump, or pull the distributor and try to fish out the shaft. Either one is a pain in the backside. If you have any input, suggestions or experiences with this Id REALLY like to hear from you. I need this truck back up soon!
Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by StrokerPost; 02/14/19 08:48 PM.