My B1500 van quit on me last night,it is a 3.9 Magnum V6, port EFI.It started to miisfire and pop through the air cleaner and stalled.I got it to run again,had to feather the throttle,luckily I was less than a mile from home and made it.
Well no start today,I checked fuel pressure it seems ok @ 40 psi and flow volume is good.It has spark but will not fire,even attempted starting fluid. I checed the timing mark vs distributor rotor alignment and it is good.I thought timing chain possibly but the van only has 40k on it. Spark at the plug is ok,maybe weak.Spark at coil term is very good.Is it possible for a crank sensor,or even the cam sensor/dist pickup to fail and still allow a spark?
This is OBD I,Im going to see if my neighboring shop has a scanner that will check cranking rpm if it is possible.When my trucks crank sensor failed it was no spark at all.Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience on a Magnum engine,V6 or V8.
Thanks,RT

UPDATE: While the van had spark,it ended up being a weak ignition coil.The primary/secondary resistance seemed to vary when checked,I swapped a good coil on and it fired up.This wa sfinally after checking inputs using an OBD1 scanner,all sensors looked good,no codes.Checked fuel pressure and volume,even disconnected the fuel line and ran fuel from an alternate source thinking the fuel may have been bad.Did a compression test as well,checked TDC vs distributor rotor alignment...All the parameters were there,just one was lazy! Thanks for all the input.
RT

Last edited by RTSrunner; 02/13/19 06:59 PM.