Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By 360view
It was a kinda interesting “test” to see that I got about 2 MPG less on the trip I made when the EGR was not flowing because the EGR bellows was blown out. I had made this same trip dozens of times before.

EGR was not invented to reduce NOX.

EGR was invented in the 1920s to extend the range of gasoline engined aircraft.
The extra inert gas in the intake manifold raises manifold pressure when at less than full throttle power, like when a Bomber is at high altitude cruise using less than full horsepower needed at takeoff with a full load of bombs. The higher manifold pressure “helps” push the pistons down on the intake stroke. The lower peak combustion temperature also lets less heat leak away through the cylinder walls and cylinder head. For awhile EGR was a “secret military technology.”

It was only later in the early 1970s that engineers seeking new pollution reducing techniques realized that the lower peak combustion temperatures led to less chemical NOx creation.

Not sure where you found that (polished turd) gem, but no, not even close. EGR does not raise manifold pressure. EGR does not help push the piston down. EGR does not let "less heat leak away through the cylinder walls and cylinder head".

It does lower peak combustion temps which helps prevent knock and Nox formation.

That's just what I was taught in auto shop class and other training classes through my years. I have no idea who or when EGR was first used I just know car manufactors use it to help control NOX emissions. And that's because NOX is created when combustion temps get to high. The EGR inert gas wont burn so it helps lower combustion temps to keep NOX down. I have also heard some call EGR "The cheap mans octane booster" since it helps keep combustion temps down and helps stop any other flame fronts from starting so it helps to fight detonation. I don't know when it was first used and dont care I just know car manufactors used it to help in emission control. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 11/27/18 07:03 AM.