trying to find a problem with my temp gauge, dropped column and pulled rally dash out, wrote down where all the colors went and after reassembly car started
normally 4 or 5 times. Then it acted like no spark, no start, but if I let key off from start to run position and then moved key again, would get sort of a misfire thru the carb like one cylinder was getting spark and firing that cylinder only. It seemed to start about 1 out of 20 times and then it would bury the amp gauge at about 40 amps and slowly drop to about 20, more than double the normal. One possibility, during reassembly, there were two brown single wires to hook to the side of the wiper switch, (besides the pair that go to the washer button). I just picked one and plugged it in, didn't realize on disassembly there was an unused identical brown on the harness. After a couple of 1 in 20 starts, it then started 6 or 7 times in a row, but still was overcharging. Coincidence?, or ignition cylinder going bad? Car acts very much like ballast resistor problem, no spark while turning over, but when key drops back you get spark and if its still turning it fires and runs. 40 year old dash harness, hate to drop $500 on a new one. anyway battery is disconnected till I get this figured out. Suggestions Thanks Greg