Originally Posted By gzig5
I had a 77 Aspen RT with four speed OD behind the 318 about 30 years ago. Seemed like a decent transmission but he motor had no balls. I've seen where folks have adapted E-body tailshaf housings onto the aluminum case A833 OD transmissions. Do these have the strength to live behind a 400-450 lb-ft motor? Really just a three speed with an extra gear isn't it. 3rd is 1:1?

I've been inside of almost every type of NP833 trans built for Mopar since 1964 23 and the 18 spline HD Hemi/440 trannys. up to the latest versions of the NP833 OD wrench grin
I have both versions of the NP O.D. tranny in the shop, one A body type like you had and two of the bigger van and pickup types that look identical to the 1970 and above B and E body trannys except the main case is aluminum like the A body are and they kept the longer cast steel tail shaft like the 1970 to 1974 B and E bodies came with stock with both shifter mounts.
I put one out of the van/ pickup type O.D. trannys in my 1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe street car I built, I will NOT beat on it very hard after seeing the gears inside work twocents
IHTHs thumbs

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)