Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Yes, It's a GM 140 amper and IIRC, it weighed like 11 Lbs or so where as the original 35 amp Chrysler unit was around 14 Lbs.
I installed that one wire alternator after what it seemed was a low rating on the out put of the original. I have an electric fan with relays, electric Aeromotive in tank fuel pump, lights, and was spooked that the 55 Denso units would not pull their lightweight stuff. Perhaps I am paranoid.

Since you have a running combination you could have your charging system tested to see how many amps you are actually using. Anyone with a decent voltmeter and amp clamp should be able to do the test for you. Turn on all of your lights, fans, pump, etc and see how many amps you are pulling. I doubt you use more than 55 amps. If you like the look of the factory alternators you could probably get an OE 37 amp unit gutted and rewired to put out 60+ amps. I'm sure it would be a lot less work than you invested in that steering wheel! That was a crazy amount of work. I can't even imagine how much work you have tied up in some of those parts.

I forgot I had this in my tool box until I spotted it today. This is a really simple tool for measuring current flow. I checked my starter and it draws 175 amps when the engine is cold. My ignition box uses 10 amps while the engine is running. The alternator in my car puts out about 35 amps with the engine running. Goes to 45 amps if I turn the lights on. The battery was fully charged in this picture so there was only an amp or two going to the battery.

DSC_3058 (Large).JPGDSC_3057 (Large).JPG