Considering we all thought the EMC was dead until very late in the year, it was a complete and utter co-ordinating disaster. Up until 1 week before the contest I wasn't sure I even wanted to attend. I figured with the new venue and only 1 dyno it would be a [censored]-show. I could not have been more wrong! The event was actually better than prior EMC's @ UNOH. I can't wait to see the rules @ PRI.

The build was a whole pile of unknowns as this was the first G3 I was able to build from start to finish and dyno it with a carb and conventional distributor as per the rules. Cubes we kept in check as I did not want to use one of the 4"+ cranks. My reasoning here proved to work against me on this one.

3.940" x 3.625" offset ground 6.1 steel crank
Arrow 6.2" rods 1.89".866" pin
Custome JE pistons 11.7 comp target
Early 5.7 heads 2.02" Ti / 1.575" Manley S.S.
Ritter drag pak
Comp Cam 241/247 .635" 111 LSA (missed on this big time)
Comp conical springs 130/380 (worked flawlessly up past 7000 rpm)
Stock rockers, pushrods, Manton HD shafts
Prefix front mount distributor cover kit
MSD SBChevy distributor

After working with this platform I can definitely see its strengths and short comings. Best result at home the night before we left was 550 hp/472 tq. Power was trending upwards well past the constest requirements of 6800 rpm. I should have chosen cam timing far far differently knowing the strong flow of these heads. I really dropped the ball on this one as I got complacent and didn't take the competition all that seriously this time. It showed. Moral of the story don't begin an all new engine build on Sep 19. Anything you want to know about the engine or the contest ask away. J.Rob

2009 PHR\EMC Competitor
2010 PHR\EMC Competitor
2011 PHR\EMC Competitor
2012 PHR\EMC Competitor
2013 PHR\EMC Competitor
2014 HotRod/EMC Competitor
2015 HotRod/EMC NoShow
2016 HotRod/EMC 3rd place SPEC Bigblock
2018 HotRod/EMC 7th place G3