before my old man passed, he had a 1990 dodge dynasty front drive. one day before the required state inspection, he came over to my shop asking me to look at his wet carpet under the gas pedal. this was at the end of february, and a ton of snow and salt on the roads. when i looked, there was a big chunk of floor pan missing, and the carpet backing was peeking through the hole. great, just what i needed, a big inspection repair the day before the sticker ran out ! [but that was the old man's way. biggrin]
i jacked up the car, wiped the salty slush off the bottom of the floor pan with a dirty shop rag, and slathered on a bunch of resin around the hole. waited for it to start kicking off, then soaked a patch with resin and slammed it home, tucking some of the patch inside the hole. let that kick, then mixed up some "hair" with extra hardener, then slathered that around until the depression was kinda filled. when that mess started to harden up, and was not moveable, out came the damp weather apply roof tar. smeared that around so it looked like "factory seam sealer" [kinda shock]. this took all of about 40 minutes. told pappy to go out & ride around a bit in the slop to get the "patch" dirty before he took it in for a sticker the next day.
that mess set up and lasted three or four years until he traded up to a different ride. looked as "good" then as it did the day i did it, and was rock hard ! sometimes it seems that if you don't care about how you fix something, it lasts forever. when you really try to do a perfect job, it falls apart in a week. go figger !
beer