Originally Posted By CompSyn
Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Originally Posted By CompSyn
Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
5500 then. I've seen tons of 383s with spun bearings.

I'm not sure how true they are but a couple reasons I've heard for the 383 spun bearing condition are the following:

1) The factory rod bolts would stretch on the high revs and were thus the weak link.

2) The 383 at high revs would suck the factory oil pan dry, even with the stock volume oil pump and cause momentary oil starvation at the rod journals.

Again, don't know if this is nothing more than hearsay, and certainly these issues could manifest in any stock engine that's over-rev'd. That said, the 383 was mass produced and market towards the value crowd who undoubtedly ran the holy hell out of these engines. The notoriety of spun bearings and blown blocks, probably a combination thereof...

In any case, the two conditions mentioned above; pretty easy to remedy.

#2--True of ALL big blocks and Hemis, the high volume pump, deep pans, more oil, and the duel line system came about for this reason.
My 383 turned 6800 easy with 8 quart pan and big pump, stock rods-good bolts and adjustable rockers-good springs

So you're saying 6,800 rpms with non-factory "good" rod bolts?

All I can say is my engine lived (in fact I still have it in storage) aftermarket bolts where installed around 1976 era. Engine was balanced, Mannly slugs, 509 hyd cam.
Many years ago I saw that a S/S 70 Cuda stick car that shifted his 8500 and thru the traps at 8700, this was before the good rods.