Thanks guys for the comments. I've bought and brought the car home. Had to work the seller a bit but got it for the price I was willing to pay, with the assumption a transmission R&R could be in the future.

Original owner deceased. There's a knob/cable affair on the floor at the edge of the driver's seat that apparently goes back to the rear end. Seller said someone told him it disconnects things so the driveshaft doesn't turn. If true, that's a new one on me.

I couldn't determine it laying on the ground, plus it was a terrible weather day. Looking at wiring, brackets, etc it's apparent whatever the setup is was done professionally. Beautiful tow bar in the trunk.

Good solid body, clean interior, everything works, badly faded paint on hood and roof, but it runs and drives very nicely. Transmission shifts crisply and fluid was clean with no smell. Not mint by any means, but I like it.

I'd forgotten how nice those cars go down the road.

I've got to get a project car off the hoist so I can get this thing up in the air and see what was done for towing. I'll post some photos once I have it up.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way