I think the frame and brakes are not too bad on the newer 1500's. The stock coil spring suspension should have been left on Chevys where it belonged. The stock coils are more suited for mall duty than hauling anything. The sway bars are pretty thin on the 1500 as well. I bought an 18 1500 as it is good enough to tow with once in awhile but I bought a set of airbags for it. I really prefer a diesel for towing as on a hill they just hunker down and pull whereas you feel like you are beating the heck out of a gas motor pulling a load up a hill.
So bottom line is I preferred my Cummins trucks for towing but for occasional tow duty the 1500 will handle it. Here is my 15 1500 with an empty 26 foot on with the wonderful stock coils.
I used this 1500 and that 26 footer on my last move. It involved hauling the 26 footer with my Viper once and my Twin Turbo Stealth another time with other shop stuff loaded in the trailer as well. Two long hills on this trip one of which is 8 percent and runs for about 15 miles. I hated the engine in that 15 and I can tell you if it was possible to break it I would have. She started to finally run better after the moves but I got rid of the truck anyway. Bottom line is a gas 1500 will do what you need it to do.

ramit.JPG
Last edited by RUNCHARGER; 06/24/18 12:39 AM.

Sheldon