Originally Posted By AndyF
Now that I have a data logger (Sniper EFI system) I can see stuff that I haven't seen before. For example, I can see the system voltage while cranking. When the engine is hot the start slows down a little bit so I looked at the data logger and the voltage dips down to about 9 volts before the engine fires. That seems like it might be a tad low since the ignition system might get a little weak at that point.

Anyone else with a data logger know what their voltage is during a hot start? I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. If I do have a problem I'm not sure if it is starter heat soak or perhaps a voltage drop in the wiring.

I've done this with a grid, like yourself we had around 9v when cranking at best. I put this down to being just the way things are and played with start rpm timings etc to get it as good as I could. Motor would turn lazy, kick back etc.
I've since totally rewired the car and run an earth "ring" around the car with bus bars to pick up earth points for stuff. I've also run a heavy gauge earth cable direct to the starter. The difference is amazing, motor spins quick hot or cold and last time I checked it we had 11V + cold cranking. I have to put this down to a better earth and less voltage drop on the earth side, bad earths also get worse when hot. I'd at least run a good ground wire to the starter to see if it makes any difference.

'74 Challenger..9.46 @ 145.9 1/4, 6.001 @ 118 1/8 so far. 4023lb !!! # N/A, Marsh performance 655ci, Indy Maxx, T/R, Indy 600-13 X's, Street legal, pump gas, full interior, Cal-Tracs, mufflers, 3:73's and real 10.5 radials.
9.51 @ 142.4 1/4, 6.003 @ 114 1/8 with our old mule KB, 572-13, 580 wedge.
RHD '68 Barracuda Fastback 323ci street/strip. Best ET 13.88 @ 99.03