Originally Posted By DaveRS23
Before you pull the trigger on the converter, you might want to talk to a converter builder or two and get their input. With the torque you will be making, it could be a challenge to get one tight enough. And make sure that they are clear with you on how their converters will act in your vehicle. Have them review in detail flash, stall, etc. There might be an off-the-shelf converter for you, but it would be a good idea to talk to the converter guys.

Personally, I have used PTC for many years with good results. But my last couple of converters from them missed the mark and they were too busy to spend much time working it out. Called Lenny at Ultimate. He spent the time to get the info and then re-worked the PTC to my satisfaction.

Hughes recommended their 24-30HD 3000 stall. But the tech reply did not really make sense to me. Seemed opposite to how I was thinking how the choice was to be made. What do you think of what he said? I did give all the vehicle specs, and said we want to be sure the converter won’t be slipping driving at 60-70 mph, because we have ran into that issue before.

“Thank you for the tech card and no I can get you into a 2500 stall with this combo. The tightest you can go is a 3000 stall model. Even if a 2500 stall might allow the engine to remain running with out stalling, once you drop it into low range on the transfer case it would be way to tight for playing in the mud. For mud racing racing you need the complete opposite to keep engine RPM up. 24-30HD is a 3000 stall”

“Thank you, and there is always a chance of additional heat, just run a good cooler in the bed with a fan and that should handle the issue if it is a problem. I have people running much higher stalls on the street that can maintain 180-190 with no issues. Correct stalls actual can produce less heat if its not fighting the engine being too tight.”

Last edited by Pockets; 06/03/18 02:48 PM.