Howdy!

I have a 54 3/4 ton dodge pickup. It’s currently running a 230 flathead with a t-5 that will be coming out once my driveline is ready. It already has a modern rear (which will eventually be a dana or something), four wheel disc brakes, fresh suspension, and a nice aluminum radiator. The frame is in great shape.

I had big block envy forever and finally found a complete 400 carb to pan with wiring harness, accessory brackets, and a 727 for under $500. I couldn’t help myself! I’m waiting to hear how the magnaflux went and if good I’m ordering a rotating assembly. The plan is just north of mild- unported stealth heads, lots of torque, small flat tappet. I was even thinking iron exhaust manifolds until I felt how heavy they are- whoah! If they fit great I might still run them but headers would be easy to fabricate or modify for clearance.

Right now I’m researching a few things and collecting parts. I should have a longblock in a month or two. The flathead will come out this summer then the fun begins. I was flirting with the dakota frame or front clip idea but the chassis is sound and straight axles are cool. I might jump if I find a cheap straight 70s mopar with a blown 383 in it that I can afford or a local 1st gen dak for the right price but for now the plan is to put the mill in the 54 chassis.

In this planning/parts collecting phase I’m currently thinking about a few different things.

-who makes a decent oil filter relocation kit? Or should I try to make one? Seems like a part that should be common?

-anybody who did one of these have an oil pan suggestion? I plan to run my motor as low as practical and move back the firewall/trans tunnel as neccesary. If I can run a mech fan with a good shroud I will but I’m ok with an electric one if that helps with where I will need to hang the motor.

-my steering box is sloppy. Does anybody know who can rebuild the old gemmer steering box near philadelphia? Or have power or manual box suggestions to work with the straight axle? I figure I’ll probably need universals to get around the motor and I don’t want to keep the metal spear aimed at my sternum anyway. I don’t know a lot about steering setups beyond maintaining stock stuff but I’m not afraid to fabricate and I’d rather use oem parts than $$$ streetrod billet.

Thanks for reading and please any comments are welcome. I’d love if anybody who’s done this would be willing to help me avoid the stuff they had to do twice!

Radar