I'm not saying buy a high mileage engine. The prices on the 09 up engines I find are lower than the early engines. I paid 1250 for one with 5k mile locally, verified mileage, not some craigslist deal. I see many in the below 50k range for 1500ish.

If a cam is tore up, then there is metal shavings in the engine also. I would be checking bearings, which means new rod bolts etc. So many torque to yield bolts on these engines that need replaced. Head bolts, rod bolts and so on. I'd also replace the oil pump, timing set etc.

Add up the cost to go through that engine vs a low mileage engine you can drop in, doesn't even make sense to rebuild it. If it was an earlier engine, that's another story. Low mileage ones are pretty non existence and when you find one they are 2500-3k

No way I'd put any of those lifters with a 178k back in the engine if they check good or not. Unless you want to do this again soon. I also wouldn't risk the chance that metal shavings got into the oiling system and bearings and end up with a rod knock.