My trusty 2005 Stratus failed me for the 1st time yesterday morning. For 186,000 miles it's never missed a beat. It's the 4 cylinder engine.

I went to start it and just got a "click" at the starter. Figured the battery may have given up the ghost as the car had been sitting 3-4 days.

Charged the batter for 6 hrs. No change. Checked lights, fan blower, fuel pump, etc and everything is bright and does not act like a weak battery. Just to be sure, I switched out the battery with the same 'click' results.

Took the starter out and it bench tested fine. I put a bar on the ring gear just to make sure the engine was free. Took the starter to OReilly and had them test it and it passed just fine.

After cleaning up all connections, all wires, the places where the starter mounts to the block, etc, I put it back in and still no change.

I recalled a recent thread here on starters and costs, and re-read that as there'd been mention of contacts that wear on them. Is it possible the starter will bench test under no load but not work properly when in place because of these contacts?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way