I have an early 5.7 block I was going to use to rebuild the engine for my 2004 Durango.I have since found a new/NOS factory crate engine for the Durango so that is settled.I have a 318 powered A-100 van that I was contemplating a 340 or 360 Magnum build for as it is a simple swap.Now that I am collecting late Hemi parts,I'm thinking carbed 5.7 for the van and take advantage of the head flow/power potential.The original heads from the Durango are ok (this engine hydro-locked and broke a rod/block) and undamaged,but to rebuild them with new valve seats,etc.is around $1200 from a good local shop.My question is would it be worth changing to 6.1 or later Eagle/Apache heads on a stock stroke 5.7 build? I've seen low mile 6.1 heads for similar rebuild cost money,not sure what the later heads cost.I would be replacing rods and pistons with better parts, especially the rods! The A-100 is a light vehicle and with the intended use as a street/hot rod I think the stock stroke is sufficient.Probably enough fun for the cab over experience!
RT