More and more cars are coming with the start/stop feature to save fuel I for one hate it. I own an 2017 Audi and they all have it. It is annoying as hell and every once in a while in certain condition, the car does not start up when you want to go. Have to put it in Park and restart. Happened to me once. One thing good about Audi, you can buy an OBD device and customize some of the vehicle programming. One of those things I was able to do is disable the start/stop. It will now remember last position of the start/stop button w/o having to push it every time after a restart.

Think of this too, can you imagine the wear and tear of that starter? Battery/alt wear when car is off, headlights on, heater on, rear window defrost on, wipers on, when car turns off at a traffic light? Battery condition also dictates if the start/stop will activate. If batt is low, engine will stay on during stops or if a/c is on too. At least on my Audi.

So I totally understand OP's distaste of that feature. Friend hates it in his Mercedes too.

Hybrids are a different animal. Im only referring to gas only models.