Originally Posted By '72CudaRacer
620ci RB, B1 MC heads, cam is .850" lift solid roller, duration 286/306 @ .050", carbureted on gas. Bore 4.600", stroke 4.665", piston 10.3cc dish volume, combustion chamber volume 52cc, head gasket compressed thickness .066", 4.600 bore size".
How much compression ratio would be considered too much? This is a bracket engine, to be raced on a weekly basis. The engine was brought to me with 16.4:1. I can change head gaskets to get it to 15:1 with out doing anything else.
The question is, how much is TOO much?

Thanks, Brian

The only way to know if you have too much compression is to test it. Flame travel inside the combustion chamber is very complex. There probably isn't anyone who can read a post on the internet and then tell you if you have too little or too much compression. Even if you had a bunch of pictures of the piston and the combustion chamber I doubt anyone could give you a positive answer.

Personally I think that is way too much compression for a bracket engine. The tuning window will be narrow and you'll have to run expensive race fuel. If the car is being raced just for fun then what is the point of the sky high compression ratio?