Originally Posted By 70RT Charger
That must suck to have these awesome big inch motors and can’t evem enjoy them on the street. That would be sad if a lonely little 446 would bust a stroker on the street because of the tall gears and big tall tires lol. Wait a minute, I’ve seen it before lol.

It's pretty obvious these combos mentioned above were built for the street, hence the highway gearing. Just because they're trying to make their converter more efficient doesn't mean they won't currently lay some smack down.

Topside, I've been extremely happy with my combo. It's 500" with the MP 557 lift cam, 9.5" Dynamic converter as KillerBee mentioned, 275/60(28") tire, and 3.23 gears. I can drive this car all day long and cruise down the highway at 2800 RPM or less.
I drove it to the track, went 1.51 60 foot, 10.69 at 124.65, and drove it back home smiling ear to ear. That's with zero tuning.

The converter is slipping 17.5% down the track, which is a lot to me, but a couple experts have told me that it is being caused by the 3.23 gears so I'm afraid to mess with it. A modern high dollar converter might flash better and be more efficient(more MPH) but it sure would suck to spend all that money and gain little or nothing.

I am very tempted to try a 2.94 gear with a 26" tall radial at the track, and use the 28" tires for the street/highway. That should net the same ET's and be even more highway friendly.
I know it's personal preference, but I can't handle 3500RPM's on the highway like a lot of guys can.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual