Originally Posted By RTSrunner
Originally Posted By savoy64
or you could just get some bigger truck brakes with backing plates and such-----in the 60's chysler used those brakes on taxis and police cars---it was effective enough to slow chyslers entry into the disc brake market------drum brakes work....

True,properly adjusted self-energizing drum brakes are easier on driver input than manual disc brakes for sure.My '67 A100 has a 5000# GVW and 11" drums.

Might be true, but I never felt bad about replacing the completely rebuilt 11" drum brakes on my 70 Road Runner with a set of discs, many years ago. The drum brakes worked as long as you didn't stress them, if you put them under stressful conditions, they would give you a pretty uneasy feeling. It might be OK if you don't drive the A100 as hard as I drove the Road Runner, or any of my work trucks.

These days there are several aftermarket disc brake kits that equal the cost of rebuilding the inferior drum brakes, why would you take the chance? Things have changed a lot in the years since this thread was first posted. Gene