Originally Posted By Bull1tt
So spill the beans! Id like to hear about it!

Try to make it as short as possible: For lack of a better word I "restored" my wife's 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Limited last year that we've owned since new. It helped me with gaining some bodywork and painting skills for the next couple of projects. I removed rust, replaced rockers on both side, some replacement of front or the rear wheel wells, hood rust, etc., Then the repaint and finally what to do about the "chrome" strips/moldings and the CHRYSLER callout letters on both front doors that were in bad shape. Started to search the internet and our local Chrysler dealership and the best I could do was $49 each door for the CHRYSLER callout letters ($98) and $100 EACH for the front 2 doors and $100 EACH for the side sliding doors ($400) or a total of almost $500 total shock shock. More searching and decided that I was going to try something that I learned back in the late '70's for repairing door panels with a 1" wide plastic chrome strip across the top.

I went and found the chrome film (tape) I had for another job (way cool too) and decided that I'll just head on down to the local national chain auto parts store and buy some fresh chrome film tape and found some that is 8" wide and 60" long and used for the bottom of pickup trucks from the rocker to the lower body line.

Pencil graphite traced the CHRYSLER letters out, cut them out and copied them to the chrome film tape (reversed so chrome side is correct) then cut them to the letter shape. Took the heat gun and heat shrunk them over the old letters and Exacto knife cut excess off. Then cut long strips for the four door's moldings and recovered those too. For $6.99 and a lot of material left over for other possible uses it saved me $490 for just a few hours of fun work on a nice spring day.

That's why I said that for maybe $14.00 the OP may find this as a money saving 50 feet @ 50MPH way of getting a "chrome" look fiberglass bumper.

MikeR

20160925_211507rs.jpg20160925_212508rs.jpg20160925_185223rs.jpg20160927_182103rs.jpg
Last edited by A12; 02/02/18 12:33 AM.