Originally Posted By hemi-itis
Switching to a trigger is on my list of things to do.Is an MSD shell with magnets any better or worse than using a wheel? I have a SuperDamper but would need to buy a new shell that has magnets,so I could go either way......

After tuning many cars with a 36-1 and 60-2 wheel and MSD crank triggers.. I still run an MSD crank trigger.

Reason why- "Its supposed to be more accurate". Yes at idle a 36 or 60 tooth wheel will be with a large cam that doesn't idle nice and smooth. There are smaller timing errors (.1 degree vs upto .5 degrees at most on an MSD wheel) but under WOT I always see timing error on 36 and 60 tooth wheels vs 0% on a 4 magnet MSD crank trigger.

Is there any real world difference under power between a 36-1/60-2 and MSD crank trigger. NO.

On transient RPM changes you see more error on an MSD wheel but it is so little that it would not be picked up with a timing light. Under straight WOT acceleration I have observed zero timing error vs a higher tooth count wheel.

Advantage to a 36-1 wheel vs a 4 magenet, you can run wasted spark if COP/CNP and semi sequential still if your cam sensor fails.

Is this to say in the future the processing and ECU technology will be better and be able to take advantage of higher tooth wheels. Yes but for now and 99.9% of the projects out there it makes 0% difference.

TT Predator headed 572 7 Second Street Car.
Fastest Mopar Drag Week 2015
Fastest Mopar & Dodge Drag Week 2017
Pro Street Power Adder Champion Drag Week 2017